THIS IS NOT END OF THE WORLD, STILL WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER.

Inspire the world

Climb the Success

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

A visionary, an inspiration, a religious man and an avid reader, Govindbhai Dholakia, Chairman, Shree Ramkrishna Export is a person par excellence. With no educational background or forefathers in the diamond business, he single-handedly established the giant brand—Shree Ramkrishna Export. Priyanak Desai catches up with the stalwart, where a brief meeting with him reveals that even with so many achievements, he is as transparent, clear, precise and brilliant as a diamond. 

Govindbhai Dholakia, the chairman of Shree Ramkrishna Export, is a natural-born mentor and a tenaciously determined achiever. Little wonder, then, that he cuts such a fine leadership figure as precisely cut as the diamonds produced at Shree Ramkrishna Export. There are leaders who talk, leaders who explain, and then there are those that inspire. One doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which type stands apart. In Govindbhai’s book, the most important attribute a leader can possess is the ability to be a learner forever and never let fake pride cloud your judgment. This can be vouched for by a small but significant quote that finds place in this honcho’s office, ‘I am nothing but I can do anything.’

The chairman of Shree Ramkrishna Exports is a natural-born mentor, in his leadership the emphasis is on deeds more than words, on quiet resolve and stellar achievement rather than swaggers and manufactured mythology. The virtues are old and tested and so are some of Govindbhai’s philosophies as he puts in immaculate Gujarati “Chalse (will do), Phavse (I can), Gamse (I like) ne (and) Bhavse (I adore) are the most important four words in my life which make me what I am today. As the words suggest, there is no space for negativity in my life.”
Govindbhai Dholakia was born on November 7, 1947 when India had just regained its freedom. Born in the free India but in a remote village of Dudhala in Gujarat, Govindbhai’s family was employed in agriculture. The times were not so well for the Dholakia family and young Govindbhai knew at the tender age that he had to do something else, something bigger but little did he know that his childhood dream would make him one of the biggest diamond industrialists of modern India. Govindbhai was just in the seventh grade when he left his education in Dudhala and followed his eldest brother Late Bhimjibhai to Surat. Following his footsteps, Govindbhai started working as a diamond-polishing worker in the year of 1964. After almost a year of training he earned his first big salary of Rs 103. “The amount of Rs 103 was an extremely big for me at that time. After I received such a huge amount, my faith in the diamond market grew and since many years now I consider Diamond as my ‘God’.” 

The entrepreneur in young Govindbhai was awakened as he spent hours with diamonds and just four years later of working as a diamond polishing worker, he took the risk and started with his own diamond factory in partnership with his friends Bhagwanbhai Patel and Virjibhai Godhani on March 12, 1970. After learning the tricks and ethics of running a diamond business, his first import export operation christened as Shree Ramkrishna Export started in 1977. Today, Shree Ramkrishna Export is a name to reckon with and has worldwide operations. What started, as a dream in form of small factory is now a reality and an inspiration to one and all in the gem and jewellery industry. “In every step of my life I always found a support and guidance to help me become what I am today. D Navinchandra’s Shantibhai and Navin Kaka were my biggest support and Navin Kaka was the one who took me on my first trip to Antwerp that opened new avenues for me.”
After 35 years of relentless hard work and doggedly acquired success one would expect Govindbhai Dholakia to be tired and on his way to retirement but the reality is exactly the opposite. He is still as jovial, hardworking and zealous to scale new heights as he was in 1964 when he moved to Surat with big dreams and two pairs of clothes. “Positivity and strong will power is the key for me. As I mentioned earlier, I do not have space for negative feelings such as tiredness or fatigue. If you have the knack of time management then you can achieve everything you desire. From 7 am to 10 am I have my ‘me time’ when I exercise, play a sport or go for swimming. Around 10 am to 12 pm I am at the social service centre where I spend time with people who need my help. From 12 pm to 7 pm I am at the office where it’s strictly business and 7 pm to 11 pm is only for my family.” With such a balanced schedule one’s mind is bound to be fresh and eager for the next day.
After the demise of his close friend and partner Virji Godhani, Govindbhai started a school in his name. He has also started many more schools and colleges with world-class facilities. He has a medical centre where top doctors come for a weekly visit. Philanthropy and social work gives him internal happiness, he says.
Talking about his hobbies he says, “I enjoy reading biographies. I have read almost 40 biographies in my life but my favorites are the biographies of MK Gandhi, Abdul Kalam and Abraham Lincoln. I have also read some spiritual and religious books. I sometimes listen to old Bollywood music as well. I enjoy watching Gujarati drama, too.” 

Steering the conservation towards spiritualism he tells us his biggest inspiration in life comes from Shree Dongreji Maharaj who he has been following since he was 15 years old. He says, “Dongreji Maharaj has played a pivotal role in shaping me. He has instilled in me such great values that have not only helped me in my personal life but also in my business. The most important principle that he has taught me is that there is no need for lies, cheating and unethical means to be successful. If you are true and treat your business with staunch ethics then success will come to you no matter what and will stay with you forever. Diamond business is one of the only businesses in the world that runs on blind trust. Transactions worth millions take place only based on faith and trust and if you maintain that trust, you can never go wrong.”
When asked about his family, his face lights up corroborate the fact that his family is his greatest support and strength. “My wife Champaben Govindbhai Dholakia is my undeterred support system. She is uneducated and knows nothing about our business but she has supported me in every decision of my life. Today, she is the richest woman in Surat when it comes to white and legit money and it makes me very happy to tell you this. She is the sleeping partner in SRK Export. I am proud to say that in 42 years of our marriage we have never ever fought and we still feel the same way about each other as we used to when we were young.” He further adds, “My daughters Minaxi and Sweta are married and my son, who is 25 years old, is now looking after Mumbai operations. He is very bright and I can see him taking over the reins of our business successfully in the coming years. But that is not my entire family. We are a total number of 70 cousins and they and their children are very close to me. All 70 of them are very well settled in life with their own business. Seeing my entire family so well settled is my biggest achievement in life.”
Talking about his favourite food he says, “I love home-cooked Gujarati food, which my wife cooks for me, the simpler the better. I don’t mind the pastas and pizzas either. When I go out on holidays I try out different cuisines. Holidaying is very important for me. I go out twice with my family and twice with our staff every year. I prefer greenery and scenic places for holidays, where I am in nature’s company.”
Govindbhai has no airs about himself and there are very few business stalwarts who have this amicable character trait but this is how Govindbhai is when he is a millionaire and this is how he was even when he was a farmer. “Till a few years back I used to wonder myself that how did I achieve this success? I have no educational degrees, had no forefathers in this business, and have no extraordinary brains or looks. Then I came across a book about most famous millionaires in the world. Most of the millionaire featured in the book thought that there are certain qualities that a person needs to possess in order to be successful. I realised that many of those qualities were innate in me. Most important quality is that one must value every person and respect them,” he states with a smile.
“I would suggest the younger generation in the diamond business to understand the importance of this quality. I would also like to tell them that they should love the diamond with the bottom of their heart. The younger generation should keep their confidence and aggression in check because over confidence and extreme aggression can ruin a business. Spend time with good people and imbibe their good qualities and stay away from any type of addiction,” he signs off.
Talking about his favourite food he says, “I love home-cooked Gujarati food, which my wife cooks for me, the simpler the better. I don’t mind the pastas and pizzas either. When I go out on holidays I try out different cuisines. Holidaying is very important for me. I go out twice with my family and twice with our staff every year. I prefer greenery and scenic places for holidays, where I am in nature’s company.” 

Govindbhai has no airs about himself and there are very few business stalwarts who have this amicable character trait but this is how Govindbhai is when he is a millionaire and this is how he was even when he was a farmer. “Till a few years back I used to wonder myself that how did I achieve this success? I have no educational degrees, had no forefathers in this business, and have no extraordinary brains or looks. Then I came across a book about most famous millionaires in the world. Most of the millionaire featured in the book thought that there are certain qualities that a person needs to possess in order to be successful. I realised that many of those qualities were innate in me. Most important quality is that one must value every person and respect them,” he states with a smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib